There is an urban legend about a group of famous scientists who stopped for lunch at a small-town diner. Seated at the table were six of the greatest thinkers of our day. Their average IQ was in the 160s.
They noticed that their salt and pepper shakers had been reversed. One with the S on top was filled with pepper. The other with the P on top was filled with salt. So, they concocted an elaborate plan to switch the contents without spilling them. It involved a napkin, a straw and a saucer.
Proud of their solution, they presented it to the waitress. ―That is an interesting scheme, she said. ―Of course, we could do this. Whereupon she simply unscrewed both shakers and switched the tops.
The Bible asks an important question: “Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?” (1 Corinthians 1:20b). To a Being as wise as our Lord, we must seem like little children to Him. We develop our theories and axioms and syllogisms, but to Him it‘s just child‘s play. So, the truly wise one is the one who accepts God, and His Word, by faith.
This almost humorous story should not turn us against education! Education is a very important part of making us humans functional, to understand facts of the natural world that God has created. But, our education should not make us stagnant to the point where we can‘t see and find solutions to simple, everyday occurrences or live our lives in a foolish way. Education, secular and spiritual, must be firmly grounded in the principles that our Creator established. God says in Hosea 4:6 “— my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge”. Know His word and understand its application in and to everyday life!
• “Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil is a very true thought expressed by C.S. Lewis.
• Even ancient philosopher, like the Greek Aristotle, expressed it like this: “Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.” We need to use our rational mind and engage our emotional heart for best results. God tells us that His laws must penetrate into the heart, the emotional center for proper application. Upon the subject of education … “I can only say that I view it as the most important subject which we as a people may be engaged in.” — Abraham Lincoln
• “Education is one of the most powerful things in life. It allows us to find the meaning behind everything and helps improve lives in a massive way.” — Quote
• “Education gives us an understanding of the world around us and offers us an opportunity to use that knowledge wisely”. — Quote
• ―My parents encouraged thought. You’ll get through life better if you learn how to think’.– Holly Near
• “The person who asks questions is more helpful than the person who offers advice”. — James Clear