Our Church Family History
Early in the year 1963, several Christian families living in the Kingsland area began meeting as members of a local church of Christ. A charter was granted to the Highland Lakes church of Christ on March 30, 1963 and land was purchased from Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Forest to build a building just west of downtown Kingsland, Texas on Ranch Road 1431.
In the interim, about twenty-five families worshipped in Barrow Hall, with Luther Norman serving as the minister, before moving their meeting place to the V.F.W. Hall. In September 1964, a rock building was completed by Aubrey Hallmark of Llano, Texas. Brother Norman continued as the minister for about two more years and was followed by Brother Darrell Debo for nearly nine years who commuted to Kingsland from Burnet.
In 1972, Melvin Brazzil and Claude Mashburn began serving as elders of the congregation meeting in Kingsland. Other elders who joined in serving the church that same year, were J.L. Barker, J.O. Durst and Hurston Hallmark.
On August 15, 1973, Flavil Yakley, Sr., began serving the congregation as minister. An increase in membership and an influx of many visitors to the area motivated the congregation to build a larger auditorium in 1974, while the older rock structure became an educational building.
Other ministers who have served the congregation through the years include: Tom Green, Willard Tedford, Norman Ewell, Preston Parham, Henry Allan, Michael Wyatt, and Bill Darnell. Bill Blackstone served as the Education Minister from 2002 – 2012. The current minister is Joe Winnett, who began serving the congregation as Pulpit Minister in 1996. The congregation’s current elders are Don Bryan, Ken Darnell, Claude Fletcher, Troy Futrell, Charles Greenawalt, Larry Moore and Kenneth Thuleen.
The disciples of Christ, who presently form, the body of Christ meeting together as the Highland Lakes church of Christ, in Kingsland, Texas, are prayerfully thankful for those who have led and served the gospel of Christ in our community through the years.